29 wedding guests who were kidnapped in the Zamfara state of northwest Nigeria over two weeks ago have been released.
While traveling back home from the neighboring Sokoto state, where they had attended a colleague’s wedding, they were abducted by gunmen who ambushed a convoy of their cars.
The fatalities were mobile phone vendors from Gusau, the capital of Zamfara state, and specifically from Bebeji Plaza, a well-known phone market.
On Thursday night, the released abductees were welcomed by Ibrahim Kado, the market’s director.
He told the BBC that the victims’ appearance of exhaustion and malnutrition indicated that they were in a “pathetic situation.”
I have nothing to lose leaving Nigeria, I have two houses in America – Peter Okoye He said one of the captives was seriously ill that he had to undergo a blood transfusion and given intravenous fluids in hospital when they were freed. Mr Kado said “no matter how inhuman a person might be, they must feel moved” on seeing see the freed hostages.
However, the market leader voiced his joy at the hostages’ eventual release. Regarding if a ransom was paid, he opted not to comment.
However, a different victim’s coworker informed the BBC that following talks with the kidnappers, a ransom had been paid.
On the captives’ release, the authorities have not yet made any remarks.
A police spokeswoman informed the BBC that a search and rescue operation had been started shortly after their kidnapping.
Armed criminal groups have made killings and kidnappings for ransom commonplace throughout Nigeria, particularly in the north-west, with hundreds either captured or dead since the start of this year alone.