As Britain’s sweltering heatwave dries up the lake where it was previously hidden, a secret underwater settlement that has been kept hidden for more than 40 years has been discovered.
For the first time since the severe drought of 1976, the houses that used to make up the community of Llanwddyn can be seen. The lake in central Wales has virtually dried up after weeks of sweltering heat.
At this time of year, the stunning Lake Vyrnwy reservoir in Powys, which borders Snowdonia National Park, would typically be 90% full of water.
But because of the dry weather, remnants of the hidden settlement, like as stone walls, an old bridge, and the foundations of old buildings and drowned homes, could be seen.
Villagers had to be ejected from the area (Photo: Phil Blagg Photography)
Llanwddyn’s residents were compelled to leave the village in 1880 as officials built a new reservoir to supply water to Liverpool.
As Lake Vyrnwy and its dam were being built, the village’s dwellings were demolished, including its old church, and the once-inhabited areas disappeared under the lake.
However, the old village’s ruins are still present and occasionally reappear when the UK is scorched by extreme heat.
Amazing photos from the Shropshire Star reveal the ruins of the vanished township.
The reservoir, which is only slightly more than 60% full this week after falling to 77% full last year, is expected to receive a much-needed refill from the heavy rains predicted for this week.
Wales’s hottest day ever was July 18, when Gogerddan near Aberystwyth registered 35.3C, according to the Met Office.
The previous record-breaking day was August 2, 1990, when it reached 35.2°C in Hawarden Bridge, Flintshire.
The construction of the dam was a significant engineering undertaking as Liverpool continued to grow and the city’s population continued to rise.
When a natural rock bed was discovered during studies at the point where the valley started to shrink, the village site was chosen as the ideal location for a dam.
But regrettably, it meant that the village’s people had to leave their residences, and the neighborhood vanished into obscurity.
The Earl of Powis placed the first stone for the dam in 1881, initiating the mammoth undertaking that was overseen by the Liverpool Corporation.
Up to 1,000 personnel were employed in the reservoir construction while a few new homes were constructed close to the new water level.
The valley was ultimately filled with water in 1989 after the dam and reservoir were finally constructed in 1888.
Liverpool people were fortunate to start drinking crisp, clean Welsh water in 1892 after a pipe was built across mid-Wales and Shropshire.
By the end of the month, the village may be hidden once more.
But with scientists warning that this year’s catastrophic heatwave circumstances could occur more frequently in the future, it might not be as long before we visit the intriguing historical place once more.