Sports

Former Chelsea winger Willian departs Corinthians after “getting death threats”

Since returning to Corinthians from Arsenal in the summer of last year, the 34-year-old has scored only once in 45 games.

The international from Brazil has already been connected to a Fulham comeback to the Premier League.

Duilio Monteiro Alves, president of Corinthians, said, “Willian asked us for his [contract] termination.”

“We miss having him around, and it didn’t turn out the way we had hoped. However, we need to keep the people who are content here.

Willian played in the second leg of Corinthians’ quarterfinal Copa Libertadores match against domestic rivals Flamengo on Wednesday. Corinthians, who have dropped five of their last nine games, were eliminated by Flamengo.

Willian said to the Globo Esporte website, “Whenever Corinthians lost and I didn’t play well, my family received threats and insults on social media – my wife, my children, and recently they also started harassing my father, my sister.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Check Also
Close
Back to top button
%d bloggers like this:

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker