Latest News

Ghanaian murder suspect in tears after escaping death sentence

A Ghanaian motor taxi operator who had been in lawful custody for over five years for murder charges broke down in tears after he escaped a death sentence.

Bright Nana Owusu alias Gyamfi was acquitted and released by the Criminal Division of the High Court in Accra.

If the culprit is proven guilty of murder, he or she will be sentenced to death. On the day of the trial, however, a seven-member jury panel unanimously handed a not guilty decision to the court, according to

According to the news website, Owusu and another man, David Nii Aryee alias Shainu, were accused with murdering one Mohammed Yahaya at Oboum crossroads in Kwabenya in July 2017 after a quarrel.

After the court presided over by Her Ladyship Justice Mary Maame Ekue Yanzuh ruled him innocent of the allegations leveled against him by the state, the suspect, who appeared to be expecting to be put to death, could not hold back his emotions.

The prosecution informed the court that on July 7, 2017, at approximately 9 p.m. at the Abuom junction station, a misunderstanding occurred amongst a group of motor taxi operators.

“The misunderstanding was resolved, but later on, another group was seen fighting Mohamed Yahaya (deceased person).

“Owusu and Aryee, the 1st and 2nd accused persons, respectively, were seen among the people fighting the deceased.

“Owusu was then accused of using a pavement block he was holding to hit the head of the deceased, who fell down immediately.

“Aryee was also seen holding something in his hand and attempting to hit the deceased with it.

“There was an attempt by persons to stop the fight between the accused persons and the deceased.

“The accused persons were apprehended and handed over to the police while the deceased was immediately conveyed to a hospital,” reports.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button
%d bloggers like this:

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker